The 2017 Extreme Blue Thunder Air Show will take place at the Idaho Falls Airport on Skyline Drive. For the last year, a group of dedicated volunteers, city officials, and corporate sponsors from across east Idaho have been working diligently to put together a spectacular air show for the community guests.
In cooperation with the City of Idaho Falls, and generous corporate sponsors, the non-profit Air Show Board of Directors functions to raise money for local non-profit organizations. After operating costs are accounted for, proceeds from the air show will be donated to local non-profit organizations.
To help families enjoy the show, here are few essential tips.
- The 2017 Idaho Falls Air Show will feature world renowned aerial performances from the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels, the U.S. Air Force’s F-35 Heritage Flight Team, and many more acts that will be announced soon.
- The air show will take place on July 22-23, 2017 at the Idaho Falls Regional Airport. Gates open at 9 a.m. Flying begins at 12:10 p.m. and the show concludes around 4:30 p.m.
- To ensure everyone can view the performance, the air show will be an open-seating environment. Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, and small umbrellas.
- In addition to the aerial performances, several static airplanes and vehicle displays will be located inside the show gates.
- ATM service will be available at the main gates
- WiFi will not be available, but attendees will be able to use devices connected cellularly.
- Commercial air traffic at Idaho Falls Regional Airport will not be significantly interrupted by the air show. The airport is familiar with air shows and has a plan in place to accommodate planned flights with minimal schedule changes.
Transportation and Parking
- Free shuttle service will be available to transport attendees to and from the air show from several locations around Idaho Falls.
- Several well-marked parking lots will be available for parking near the show site. Attendees can also walk, ride bikes, or use ride-sharing services from these lots to get close to the main entry gates on Skyline Drive and Foote Drive.
- Parking near the immediate show site on Skyline Drive and Foote Driver will be limited.
- A parking and shuttle service map will be available online prior to the show.
- Attendees are encouraged to carpool or use the free shuttle service. Dedicated parking for bikes, motorcycles, and handicap vehicles will be located near the main entry gate.
- Marked all-terrain vehicles will provide motorized transportation from the handicap parking lot to the seating area inside the show for individuals with disabilities.
- Strollers and wagons will be permitted inside the gates, but the shuttle buses will not be able to accommodate these large items on board.
- The air show weekend is expected to be very warm and sunny, so sunscreen and protective clothing is encouraged.
- Attendees are encouraged to bring one 12oz plastic bottle of water per person.
- Water and shade tents will be available inside the show gates.
- Attendees are encouraged to bring hearing protection to the show, particularly for groups with small children and senior citizens.
Concessions and Souvenirs
- With the exception of water, outside food and beverages will not be permitted inside the gates.
- Food service will be provided by several vendors offering a wide-selection of menu items.
- Officially-licensed souvenirs will also be available for purchase from several vendors.
- Weapons, illegal drugs, alcohol, or other items that could endanger the public, or interfere with the safe operation of the air show are prohibited.
- Aerial drones are prohibited inside the show gate without prior authorization from the Air Show Board of Directors.
Some items are prohibited inside the gates of the Extreme Blue Thunder Air Show due to safety concerns.
- Bicycles, rollerblades or skateboards
- Camelback hydration packs
- Coolers (unless they are being used for life-saving medication prescribed by a physician)
- Drugs, Narcotics, or any type of illegal substance
- Duffel bags
- Food items, other than baby formula or baby food
- Glass bottles/containers
- Large purses or camera bags
- Pets (other than ADA certified service animals). No comfort animals.
- Smoking is only allowed in designated smoking areas.
- Suitcases or large bags
- Tents, including large pop-up tents
- Large beach umbrellas
- Weapons (firearms, mace, stun guns, explosives, knives) or any item deemed dangerous
All attendees are subject to search. If prohibited items are found in your possession, you will be asked to return the items to your car or dispose of them. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance with keeping our community safe! Enjoy the show!
Air Show Disclaimer
The air show will go on rain or shine. Gates will open regardless of the weather. However, some acts may not perform if weather conditions do not meet minimum safety standards or visibility requirements. All aircraft appearing and times are subject to change due to various reasons beyond our control, including but not limited to: military operational schedules, maintenance, weather, low ceilings, below-minimum visibility, or any other factor as determined by the promoter. We appreciate your understanding.